Friday, February 22, 2008

Black Beans (side)

One of my favorite side dishes is this black bean recipe I got from a cooking magazine a few years ago. I've altered it to suit my taste and my pantry staples. It's quick, leftovers are great and you can turn it into soup with your blender.
2 Cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Bell Pepper (I prefer Red or Orange)
1 Diced Onion
3 Cloves of garlic, diced small
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 C. Chicken Broth
2 Tbs. Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Green Onions (not leeks)
1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook until soft, 5-6 min.
2. Add garlic, cook for another 1-2 min.
3. Add beans, broth, vinegar and salt and pepper (to taste). Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 10 min.
4. Serve as a side or over rice. Top with diced green onions. OR- Pour half in a blender and blend to make soup. Return half to pot, mix together. Serve in bowls, top with green onions.

No comments: