Friday, February 22, 2008

Easy, healthy rice dish

So the other night I was home without DH around and instead of having my usual "breakfast for dinner" I decided to be a little creative. We've been trying to eat healthier lately so I happened to have some fresh veggies in the fridge. I put some rice in the rice cooker and when it got to the 13 min. countdown I prepared the veggies for a new spin on one of our favorites, Chicken Egg Rice. This one is Veggie Egg Rice (bad cell phone photo follows).



















Here's the recipe (serves 2 as a meal):
1/2 C Rice (I use white sushi rice, if you want to be super healthy you can use brown rice)
1 tbs. olive oil
1/2 C sliced sweet onions
1/2 C sliced white mushrooms
1 handful Sweet 100 tomatoes sliced in half
2 eggs
Soy Sauce
1. Start cooking your rice, follow directions on rice or use your rice cooker.
2. While the rice is cooking, rinse and chop your veggies. You can add your favorites too.
3. When the rice is almost done (10 min. or so left) start cooking the veggies. Heat olive oil over medium heat and add in the onions. Cook until translucent, about 6 min. Add in mushrooms and tomatoes. Stir frequently until the tomato skins are just starting to come off. Put veggies aside in a bowl.
4. In same pan, start cooking eggs. I prefer Sunny Side Up, but scrambled works fine and you can just do egg whites if that's your thing.
5. Put half the rice in each of 2 bowls. Top with half the veggies, sprinkle some soy sauce on. Top veggies with egg. Sprinkle more soy sauce if desired.
You can eat it with chopsticks or a fork, the eggs help hold the rice together.

1 comment:

Mrs_Mam said...

I added in some spinach and asparagus last time and it was even better!